🏘️ About the Organization and Job Details
The Swedish Embassy is a longstanding development partner to Rwanda and the current development cooperation strategy covers 2020–2024 with a focus on the following support areas (i) Human rights, democracy, the rule of law and gender equality, (ii) Environmentally sustainable development and (iii) Inclusive economic development.
In addition, Sweden supports research and higher education in Rwanda guided by the Research strategy. The objective of Sweden’s international development cooperation is to create the conditions to improve the lives of people living in poverty and oppression.
About the Embassy
The Embassy of Sweden in Rwanda has about 20 employees, of which 8 are sent out staff from Sweden. The overall tasks include political and economic reporting, trade promotion, and the implementation of Sweden’s development cooperation with Rwanda. The Development cooperation section consists of 9 staff.
The Embassy strives to achieve a balance between self-leadership and teamwork, continuous learning, and adaptive management. Openness and transparency, trust, courage, togetherness, and respect are values that characterize our office.
📋 Job Description
The Embassy is now looking for an ambitious, qualified, and experienced individual to fill a new, full-time position of National Programme Officer (NPO) for the Development Cooperation Section.
Job Position Title
National Programme Officer (NPO)
Number of Job Positions
Embassy of Sweden in Rwanda
The NPO will be part of the development cooperation team and work closely with the other program officers. The position has a strong focus on follow-up, quality assurance, and financial management across the portfolio including research cooperation. It might also include managing a program/project cycle; analyzing, formulating, assessing, and monitoring of programs in a leading or supporting role.
Job Duties& Tasks and Responsibilities
- In close coordination with the operational controller and program officers, spearheading quality assurance of the portfolio, including follow-up of the implementation of contributions and the achievement of/compliance with the financial-, program- and reporting requirements.
- Support and contribute to the identification, formulation, and appraisal of new
Give support to program officers in terms of procurement, audits, contract agreements, and other control functions.
- Take a lead in risk and materiality, perform analysis of complex budgets and risk matrices
Contribute to operational and financial planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the program portfolio as a whole.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned by the Head of Development Cooperation.
As NPO you will be expected to:
- Participate in the operational and strategic planning of the Swedish development cooperation with Rwanda.
- Apply and maintain close monitoring regarding possible suspicions of irregularities, and act to prevent and stop corruption within areas of responsibility.
- Provide advice and support to team members but also to give advice to Rwandan partners on program implementation.
- Establish good working relationships with partners Contribute to the Embassy’s reporting and overall embassy work where deemed necessary.
💼 Job Specification
- University Degree, preferably Master’s degree in economics, financial management, or other relevant area with a strong academic track-record.
- At least 5 years of experience working with development cooperation (such as in an Embassy, international or multilateral organizations, or international non-governmental organizations).
- Has a very good knowledge of the project/program cycle and understanding of how to plan, implement and follow up the various parts
- Experience and good knowledge of the work with anti-corruption
- An excellent proficiency in English, with the ability to express yourself clearly, both orally and in writing.
Merits and Skills Competencies
- Proven self-leadership skills. Demonstrated pro-active and solution-oriented and positive work attitude.
- Proven and excellent ability to work as a project team leader.
- Ability to break down complex tasks to concrete action and meet deadlines.
- Proven analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills,
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clear and concise in English
- Strong team-player. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a culturally diverse and interdisciplinary team respecting individual differences.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Strong negotiation skills with ability to understand other partners and stakeholders’ interests and perspectives.
🌐 How to Apply
The Swedish Embassy is working with the HR consultancy company Sandberg Ltd to complete this recruitment. To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 2 work related references to the e-mail below. All applications shall be marked: “National Programme Officer (NPO)”. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for all applications related to this vacancy is 28.03.2021 5 pm