🏘️ About the Organization and Job Details
Position Title: Project accountant
Duration: One Year with possibility of renewal
Department: Water For People/USAID ISOOKO Y’UBUZIMA PROJECT
Supervisor’s title: Finance Manager
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems in developing countries. The organization strives to continually improve, experiment with promising new ideas, and leverage resources to multiply its impact.
Water For People is currently operating in 9 countries including Rwanda where Water For People is supporting WASH in the Districts of Rulindo, Kicukiro, Gicumbi, and Karongi.
Water For People has secured funds from the USAID to financing the USAID THRIVE WASH project that will operate in 10 Districts of Rwanda from 2021 to 2026.
It is against this background that Water For People in Rwanda is seeking to recruit an accountant with the following qualification and competencies for the THRIVE Project.
The project accountant will manage all financial transactions, from fixed payments and variable expenses to bank deposits and budgets. In collaboration with the Finance and Administration Manager, the Project Accountant will contribute to auditing financial documents and procedures, reconciling bank statements, calculating tax payments, and managing petty cash.
Major responsibilities and duties
- Ensure consistent billing and financial reporting at project levels by following finance and procurement policies.
- Monitor accounts receivable and supports project staff with collection efforts.
- Run and send pre-bills for project manager’s review and instruction.
- Support analysis and report assigned projects’ financial information.
- Monitor and track expenses, and execute payments for local operational transactions.
- Administer and track the project Petty Cash account.
- Review all invoices and payment requests, ensuring that supporting documents for each transaction are clear and complete.
- Maintain project bank accounts and ensures proper monthly bank reconciliations.
- Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll, and ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
- Oversee the documentation and maintenance of complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Maintain financial files and support annual audits.
Connects to the Mission – Embraces the mission of Water For People and is passionate about advancing the dynamic role it plays leading social impact in international development.
- Demonstrates Ethics and Integrity – Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensures that own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Manages through Ambiguity – Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in responding to change and ambiguity.
- Demonstrates Cultural Awareness – Able to engage the wide range of stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Action-oriented – Maintains an attitude of open, curious and proactive learning, continually expanding own area of understanding and expertise.
- Connects with Others – Listens and fosters open communication through questioning, dialogue, and information sharing.
- Self-confident – Demonstrates humility, mature confidence, and courage to innovate, risk, and lead in own role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration (Accounting or Finance option), with at least three (3) years of experience.
- At least two years of experience working in Rwanda.
- Working with an international NGO is an added value
- Computer experience, knowledge of at least one accounting system, and ability to access e-mails and internet services.
- Common sense to make judgments about a situation requiring deviations from routine tasks.
- Self-starter and ability to undertake tasks without intensive supervision.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English and Kinyarwanda.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.
🌐 How to Apply
Job Application Channel Accepted
- If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with application letter along with detailed curriculum vitae (resume), relevant academic documents, and contact details of at least three (3) referees to this position. Please submit your application materials in English. In person visits or phone calls are not allowed!
- Applications need to be received no later than 15 September 2021 at 5:00 pm (Rwanda time).
Kigali , August 2021.
Water For People in Rwanda.